What is Retinitis Pigmentosa?
Retinitis Pigmentosa is one of the most common eye diseases which occurs due to family genes. It comprises all eye diseases including the eye’s retina. The retina is the nerve layer that lines back to the eye. It is sensitive to light and on contact the retina gets affected and the ability to see things gradually becomes less adequate. This further causes a loss in eyesight which can affect an individual’s health and future. Retinitis Pigmentosa has many different stages, but there are very few hospitals in India that treat this disease, some of which are still not successful in providing an effective cure. Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight in Bombay offers a holistic and natural treatment plan that treats Retinitis Pigmentosa without surgical practices using vision therapy, electro-acupuncture, and proper food supplements.
Retinitis Pigmentosa is a genetic retinal disorder. In this eye condition, the photoreceptors; Rods and Cones present in the Retina (A thin layer of tissue that covers 95% of the interior surface of the eye) progressively break down over a period of time, resulting in loss of vision. In most cases it often begins with decreased night vision and loss of peripheral (side) vision. If the cones, especially in the Macula (centre most part of the retina) break down, color vision can also get affected in some cases as cones help in detecting color. Although the moderation of RP may differ from person to person. RP can also eventually lead to blindness.
Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment at Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight (A Ray of Hope)
Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight, a global eye care clinic, offers an effective treatment and diagnostic plan for Retinitis Pigmentosa. It offers holistic eye care which includes an association of various treatment mediums that are neither non-invasive and non-operative, nor require antibiotics or steroids. This innovative approach to the treatment of Retinitis Pigmentosa (a progressive retinal degenerative eye disease which slowly affects the retinal parts of an individual, leading to a decrease in vision clarity) has worked gainfully beyond borders for many patients. With the caring staff, expertise of Dr. K.K. Goyal and Dr. Suman Goyal and the practical innovations of Dr. Rohan Goyal and Abhishree Goyal, Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight have been successful in treating 2000+ patients of Retinitis Pigmentosa.
Treatment Procedure of (RP) at Sanjeevan Perfect for EyeSight
- Vision Therapy: With a dedicated focus on providing non-surgical and natural treatment options, Sanjeevan for Perfect eyesight stands as a beacon of hope for Retinitis Pigmentosa patients.
- Electro-Acupuncture: They offer a significant and measurable benefit for the visual function of patients with Retinitis Pigmentosa which gradually shows improvement in the eye.
- Micro Acupuncture: Micro Acupuncture is a procedure done to improve the eyesight of an individual. It involves newly innovated acupuncture points for Retinitis Pigmentosa, using a modern approach as compared to the traditional method.
- Micro-Current Stimulation: This is an electric stimulation which includes the use of 20 Hz biphasic pulses with current intensity set at 150%-200% of the individual’s electrical phosphene threshold (EPT). Retinitis Pigmentosa patients demonstrated enhanced retinal function with evidence of improvement in their vision with time.
- Nutritional Supplements: Sanjeevan for perfect eyesight offers a variety of food and medical supplements that can help an individual maintain health and get the appropriate results of improved vision.
- Molecular Hydrogen Therapy: Molecular Hydrogen Therapy is an emerging and promising approach in the treatment of Retinitis Pigmentosa. This therapy involves inhaling molecular hydrogen gas, which has powerful antioxidant properties. By countering oxidative stress and reducing inflammation, it can potentially slow down the progression of Retinitis Pigmentosa. While research is ongoing to fully understand the extent of its benefits, Molecular Hydrogen Therapy offers an exciting avenue for improving the quality of life for individuals living with Retinitis Pigmentosa. It’s a non-invasive and gentle way to support eye health and maintain retinal function.
- Ozone Therapy: Ozone Therapy for Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) is a newly adopted treatment at Sanjeevan for Perfect Eyesight Bombay which aims to improve retinal health by increasing blood flow and oxygen supply to the affected cells.
Retinitis Pigmentosa Diagnosis and Tests at Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight
- Comprehensive Visual Acuity Checkup: The detailed visual acuity checkup includes several checklists such as an in-depth assessment of the sharpness of the vision which encompasses a range of tests to measure how well you can see from the close and distant side.
- OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography): This cutting-edge technique provides high-resolution and efficient cross-sectional images of the retina, enabling precise diagnosis and monitoring of several eye conditions.
- Perimetry: Perimetry evaluates your visual field, modifying any blind spots or abnormalities. It’s an important test for conditions affecting peripheral vision.
- Detailed Eye Examination: An extensive eye exam goes beyond the basics. It includes a thorough evaluation of your eye health, assessing elements like eye pressure, retina health, and optic nerve condition. This also includes detailed colour vision testing for each part that can affect the retina.
Other Common Treatment Modalities
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP): Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is a cutting-edge medical approach that shows in the treatment of Retinitis Pigmentosa. This innovative therapy harnesses the healing properties of platelets found in the patient’s own blood to potentially slow down the progression of the disease and improve retinal health.
Stem Cell Therapy: Stem cell therapy for eyes is a medical approach that utilises stem cells to repair and regenerate damaged eye tissues. It potentially restores vision and treats various eye conditions. This innovative treatment shows potential for addressing conditions like retinal degeneration and other eye disorders by harnessing the regenerative capabilities of stem cells.
Gene Therapy: Gene therapy is a treatment used to reduce or curb vision loss. It involves replacing malfunctioning genes with functional copies. But the research is still going on the effectiveness of the treatment and is just for clinical practice for Retinitis Pigmentosa.
Electro-Magnetic Therapy: Wearing a helmet, electro-magnetic is a medical therapy device that uses iontophoresis and electromagnetic stimulation without requiring contact with the eye. It is a novel approach to treating certain retinal and optic nerve disorders that present challenges to current therapeutic approaches. It can be used safely either in isolation or in conjunction with other therapeutic approaches.
Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Procedure
- Initial Assessment: An in-depth analysis of the patient’s condition, including a thorough medical history and eye examination is done at the start of the treatment.
- Diagnostic Testing: Advanced tests such as Visual Acuity Checkup, OCT, and visual field assessments are carried out to determine the extent and progression of Retinitis Pigmentosa with time. It further includes several kinds of eye exams which an individual is required to go through thoroughly.
- In-house Consultation: A consultation with Sanjeevan for Perfect Eyesight’s doctors who collectively have 50+ years of experience in research.
- Treatment Commencement: The specialised Retinitis Pigmentosa treatment procedure is then initiated, which include the following treatments:
- Vision Therapy: This treatment involves a series of exercises and activities designed to improve visual skills and functions.
- Electro-Acupuncture: In the context of Retinitis Pigmentosa, it’s used to stimulate these points to potentially improve blood flow to the eyes and promote overall eye health.
- Micro-Acupuncture: This therapy focuses on stimulating micro-acupuncture points, particularly around the eyes.
- Micro-Current Stimulation: Micro-current stimulation involves applying low-level electrical currents to the eye area. This treatment may aid in stimulating retinal cells, potentially improving their function and health.
- Nutritional Supplements: Patients are provided with specialised nutritional supplements that are believed to support retinal health.
- Molecular Hydrogen Therapy: This innovative therapy uses molecular hydrogen to combat oxidative stress and inflammation, which are factors contributing to Retinitis Pigmentosa.
- Ozone Therapy: Ozone therapy involves the application of ozone, a form of oxygen, to stimulate the body’s natural healing processes.
- Ongoing Monitoring: Regular check-ups to track progress, adjust the treatment plan if necessary, and ensure the patient’s well-being are then monitored.
- Vision Improvement: By now, Retinitis Pigmentosa patients may begin to experience improved peripheral vision, reduced photophobia, and stabilised cone photoreceptor cells
- Symptom Management: Addressing Retinitis Pigmentosa symptoms like night blindness, photophobia, and colour perception issues during treatment
- Preventing Degeneration: Further degeneration of the eye is stopped and permanent vision improvement and prevention of future vision impairments is enhanced.
RP Treatment Impact and Improvement
Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) treatment at Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight, Bombay demonstrates remarkable impact and improvement. Patients often experience enhanced peripheral vision, reduced photophobia, and stabilised cone photoreceptor cells which significantly slows down the spreading of this degenerative condition. Symptoms like night blindness, photophobia, and colour identification issues are significantly managed. The treatment not only prevents further degeneration but also paves the way for lasting vision enhancement. Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight’s holistic non-surgical approach has provided hope and tangible progress for Retinitis Pigmentosa patients, ensuring a better quality of life and a brighter outlook for those battling this challenging eye disorder.
90% of patients’ cases at Sanjeevan for Perfect Eyesight see improvement for the disease in the visual field. This extraordinary accomplishment is a testament to Sanjeevan for Perfect Eyesight’s treatment plan, dedicated team of professionals, state-of-the-art diagnostic tools, and care provided by the staff. Our patients experience adequate improvements in visual acuity, visual field, and overall eye health.
Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment Results and Success Stories
- Diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa at the young age of 25 years, Durga started losing her eye vision with time. With the support at Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight she has improved her vision through their doctor’s treatment and therapy. Currently, she is continuing the treatment for better results.
- At the age of 36, Vadamakar was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa and lost her vision. She said that she is glad to have found a treatment option for Retinitis Pigmentosa which has reduced the progression of her condition and helped improve her eye vision with therapy and treatments.
- Uttam was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa at the age of 32. He came to Sanjeevan for Perfect Eyesight Bombay for treatment from Panvel. Uttam said “I visited many hospitals for my condition but did not find any solution. I even went to Delhi but it didn’t work out. On the internet, I found Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight and from then onwards my treatment has started. So far I’ve seen progression in my vision. Thanks to Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight.”
Cost of Retinitis Pigmentosa Treatment in India
The total cost of Retinitis Pigmentosa depends on a patient’s current condition. The cost of treatment also depends on the type of Retinitis Pigmentosa, progression and extent of damage in cells and other genetic factors that play an important role in analysing the cost of treatment. It’s important to note that the long-term benefits of the treatment, including curbing the progression of the condition and improving vision, far outweighs the initial investment, offering patients a chance at an improved quality of life. However, the average cost for a treatment may add up to $2,500 (roughly ₹2,08,100).
What is Retinitis Pigmentosa?
Retinitis Pigmentosa is a genetic eye disorder that can affect an individual’s eyesight causing the vision to reduce over time. It is also referred to as a collection of uncommon inherited eye conditions that can cause blindness and is technically called “rod-cone dystrophy”. This disease affects a certain part in the retina (a thin light-sensitive tissue located in the back of the eye) which causes low eye vision.
Types of Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Typical Retinitis Pigmentosa: This is the most common form, specified by night blindness, followed by the gradual loss of peripheral vision of the eye.
- Cone-Rod Dystrophy: In this type, cone photoreceptor cells in the central retina are affected early, leading to reduced central vision and colour perception which also sometimes lead to colour blindness.
- Usher Syndrome: A combination of Retinitis Pigmentosa and hearing loss which affects both vision and hearing.
- X-Linked Retinitis Pigmentosa: It is caused by a genetic mutation on the X chromosome and often presents severe vision loss.
- Childhood Retinitis Pigmentosa: This type begins in childhood and progresses more slowly than typical Retinitis Pigmentosa.
- Cone-Only Retinitis Pigmentosa: This rare type primarily affects cone cells, causing central vision problems.
Sector Retinitis Pigmentosa: It affects specific areas of the retina, leading to irregular vision loss.
Causes of Retinitis Pigmentosa
Retinitis Pigmentosa is caused by any affect to the eyes due to light. Here, eyesight slowly starts becoming less clearer and things start to look blurry. It is associated with numerous genes and is inherited in various ways. If you have Retinitis Pigmentosa, you can learn more about your chance of passing Retinitis Pigmentosa to your offspring by speaking with your doctor or a professional known as a genetic counsellor. Sometimes Retinitis Pigmentosa occurs in conjunction with other genetic disorders, As per recent research, there are three ways as to how the mutation in the genes can damage the retinal cells and cause Retinitis Pigmentosa:
Following is the list of causes which can affect the retina:
- Rod Cells
- Cone Cells
- The link between the cells that make up the retina
- X-linked Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Autosomal Recessive Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Autosomal Dominant Retinitis Pigmentosa
Symptoms of Retinitis Pigmentosa
The symptoms of Retinitis Pigmentosa differ from person to person and it is completely based on the genetics of an individual. It might occur since childhood or it can also occur after a particular period like adolescence. While some people lose their eyesight a bit slowly and steadily, some people can lose their eyesight more instantly. The most common symptoms of Retinitis Pigmentosa are as follows:
- Difficulty in driving, reading, recognizing faces or objects
- Peripheral (side) vision loss
- Central vision loss (Focusing on objects becomes difficult)
- Difficulty in seeing at night (night vision loss or night blindness)
- Sensitivity to sudden flash of light (light-sensitivity also known as ‘photophobia’)
- Problem in Color Identification
As the eye disease is genetic i.e. it is passed on to the children from their parents, it can also develop during childhood or teenage. However, it may vary depending on the genetic factor.
Diagnosis of Retinitis Pigmentosa
Diagnosing Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) involves a complete eye examination and other specialised tests. Ophthalmologists typically begin with a detailed medical history and assessment of symptoms like night blindness and visual field loss. Visual acuity tests measure central vision, while electroretinography (ERG) evaluates retinal function. Funduscopy allows the examination of the retina’s appearance, revealing classic signs of Retinitis Pigmentosa such as pigment deposits. Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) provides detailed retinal images. Genetic testing may identify specific mutations. A definitive diagnosis considers these findings, enabling tailored treatment plans for patients living with Retinitis Pigmentosa. Early diagnosis is crucial for effective management and vision preservation.
Frequently Ask Questions
Can Retinitis Pigmentosa be treated?
There is no cure for Retinitis Pigmentosa but Sanjeevan for Perfect EyeSight offers a holistic diagnostic plan and effective treatment which manages patient’s conditions improving their vision using different therapies such as vision therapy, hydrogen therapy, ozone therapy and more.
Can you live a normal life with Retinitis Pigmentosa?
It is likely that if you have retinitis pigmentosa, you will experience a visual impairment that affects your daily life. There can be improvement with the help of treatment and therapy.
What are the types of Retinitis Pigmentosa?
Typical Retinitis Pigmentosa, Cone-Rod Dystrophy, Usher Syndrome, and X-linked Retinitis Pigmentosa are some types of Retinitis Pigmentosa that can affect the retina and affect vision.
How long does Retinitis Pigmentosa last?
The severe condition of Retinitis Pigmentosa is now incurable. Early adolescence is usually the beginning, and between the fourth and fifth decade, serious visual impairment sets in.
What percentage of Retinitis Pigmentosa patients go blind?
12% of patients were blind at the time of baseline, and 30% of patients had vision that was less than 20/60. 40% of patients had peripheral islands of vision or a tubular visual field (10 central degrees or worse).