Hello Everyone! I hope all of you are doing well.
I want to personally thank all of you for the tremendous interest you’ve been showing in our blog! It’s really overwhelming.
Actually since I’m already on the topic of the response you all have given our blog, in this particular post I’ll be addressing that one query which 9/10 of you writing into me have been asking me –
“Dr. Goyal, what can I do to preserve/improve my eyesight?”
I’m not sure how many of you are aware of the fact that very few people are actually born with visual abnormalities. This simply means that most of our visual ailments are those which are acquired by the lifestyle we are leading today. A lifestyle wherein it is essential for you to spend a substantial portion of your day concentrating in front of desktops, laptops and several other electronic gadgets. This exposure of your eyes to these gadgets on such a consistent basis is what tires and strains your entire visual apparatus. And this is from where the entire problem begins!
Thus, I think it’s tremendous that all of you are interested in making an effort to take corrective measures for not only preserving but also improving your eyesight. So, here’s getting you started with a few basic but very effective tips to keep in mind on an everyday basis:
1) Do not stare at anything for a long time because this strains the eyes and causes an error of refraction.
2) While reading, the book or newspaper should be held under the chin so that the eyes are half closed.
3) Practice Eye Wash – take some water in an eye cup and wash your eyes by blinking each eye 10 times in the cup.
4) Palming – To palm is to cover your closed eyes with your hands in such a way that there is no pressure on your eyeballs. There should be no light or as little as possible entering the eye. Practice this for 10 min everyday preferably in a dark room.
5) Blinking – While doing near work like studying, working on computer, using mobile phone, etc. shift your sight/ gaze to a farther point. Consciously blink often e.g. blink after every line while reading.
There you go then – Easy but effective tips for preserving and even improving your eyesight. However, I want all of you to remember that this is not a one-off thing, but a permanent lifestyle change you need to bring about in order to ‘see’ the best results! So, don’t treat this be one of those ‘Crash-course’ diets for short-term gains, but instead look at this with a more ‘far-sighted’ outlook for the overall good health of your eyes.
For all those who are visiting this blog for the first time, I want to let you know that you can feel free to get in touch with me at ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ with regards to any query you may possess. I’ll try to revert back at the earliest!
Dr. K.K. Goyal